STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO KEEP YOUR CHILD SAFE ONLINE
- Set up parental controls - These are tools that you can use to help manage your child's online activity. See the 'internet matters' link below for helpful guides on parental controls.
- Supervise their online activity - Primary aged children should not access the internet without supervision. Keep children's use of online devices in shared family areas.
- Check in with your child - Have quick chats with your child about the games and apps they are using each week. Ask them if anything ever worries them online.
- Make sure they know where to go for help - Remind your child that they can always speak to you or another adult they trust if anything worries them online. Make sure they know they won't get in trouble and can get help by talking to you.
- Talk about how to be positive on the internet - Remind your child to think how someone else might feel before they post or share something online.
- Use 'SafeSearch' - Try using 'Safe Search Kids' or another safe search engine. Most search engines have a safe search setting that can be activated in the settings (often a small cog icon).
Click on the links below to learn more about what you can do.